Thursday, April 23, 2020

Remote Control vehicles

I have always thought that giving remote control vehicles to little boys is not a good idea... they need to be active pushing the vehicle themselves, not working a joystick! And they seem to just walk around following the remote control car wherever they are driving it...

Well, when we were at the RV repair place, I was watching the construction guys, and one of them was following a piece of equipment around just like a little boy would follow a remote control car.
The construction guy to the left is controlling the small green piece of equipment...

It was tamping soil/gravel down in a ditch - the ditch had been 5-6' deep and a pipe was laid in the bottom. They were in the process of filling it back in, and used this machine to tamp the soil down after each few inches of soil was put in.

Another view of it - it had a joint in the middle so it could turn corners. Even though it was small, when I got closer to take these pictures, I could feel the ground being impacted by it through my feet - about 6' away.
It seems that this is remote controlled both so it can be a small device, to get down into ditches, and also so there doesn't need to be someone down in the ditch if the sides are unstable.

As we were driving back to Virginia, Carl pointed out some highrise buildings under construction that had cranes on top that did not have an operator's compartment on the crane (I don't have any pictures of those). He surmised that they also were controlled with remote control.
I found an article with information about these cranes -- I don't understand all of it, but... here it is:
https://www.gruasyaparejos.com/en/tower-crane/remote-control-tower-crane/

The thing that interested me is, I have always thought that giving children (boys) remote control cars is not wise, but, now I'm thinking that it could be training them for a future career!

No comments:

Post a Comment