Saturday, November 4, 2023

Torah scroll

When we were up at the Mahler Building, we got to see the case that Team SIL volunteers in the woodworking shop had built to display one of the Torah scrolls that DIU (Dallas International University) has.

Case made by Team SIL Dallas volunteers

The scroll was turned back to Genesis as we have just started the new year in the Jewish calendar (I blogged about this back in 2019: https://trekincartwrights.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-rolling-of-scroll.html).

Genesis 1

We used Google Lens on our phone's camera and got a confirmation that we were, indeed, seeing the beginning. You may note that the translation is pretty rough -- thus the need for human involvement in translation!

I had blogged back when I was here on campus in 2019 when I sat in on a Beginning Hebrew class, that what I wanted to learn is to recognize the characters for "God" in Hebrew scripture (https://trekincartwrights.blogspot.com/2019/09/elohim.html).

So, I looked at the picture I took (the one posted above), and I found Elohim in the scripture (I highlighted it in yellow in this copy of the picture).

If you click on the picture, I think your device will show you a bigger version of the picture -- can you find additional instances of Elohim in this passage? I found 4 additional instances in that first section (I don't think it is called "paragraph" but I cannot recall what it is called). A great reminder that this is a book by and about God!

No comments:

Post a Comment