Monday, November 1, 2021

Chickahominy Academy Reunion

On the first Saturday afternoon after we arrived at the farm, one of the schools I attended as a kid (2nd-7th grades) had a reunion for all grades that ever attended the school. Even though I did not graduate from the school, I was welcomed to participate, and it was such a small school that I ended up knowing a few people, even though I was only there for a few of the school's early years.

We started at the location where the school had been -- this wasn't where I started in second grade (that was a plantation house on the James River), but it was the building where I went for 4th-7th grades.

There was also a "new building" which was not there when I was in school - it was built for the high school grades a couple of years after I left.

The multi-purpose room (now used by a church as their sanctuary) -- this is where we ate lunch (not a cafeteria, there were no meals available for purchase), had assemblies, school dances, PTO meetings, etc. We all agreed that it looked a LOT smaller than the room we remembered!

My 5th grade homeroom and the Math classroom that Mrs Ward presided over!

My 4th grade classroom - note that there is an outside door -- the rooms on the first floor had doors to the outside.

Inside the upper school building -- just this year, a school started using the building.

After visiting the school building, one of the former students had everyone gather at her home (Cavedo's - her father had been one of the board of directors of the school) and there was memorabilia from a number of folks provided for us to view.

Faculty members who attended -- the only one I knew was Mrs Starr (second from the left) -- she had been the kindergarten teacher when I was in maybe 6th or 7th grade. What I particularly remember is that when she came back to school in the fall, she was on crutches with a broken leg -- her husband and she had vacationed in the summer in California. You know those signs that say "Watch for falling (or fallen) rocks"? Well... one fell on their car, totaled the car, and broke her leg (as I understood and remember it!). I always think of that when I see one of those signs! I'm not certain that there are many options on what you would do if you happened to see the rock falling -- maybe you would be able to stop or go faster to avoid being hit?

4 of us from class of 1977 -- Lisa, Gayla, Regina and me

The organizers for the event created cups and pens, and provided a great meal for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment