Monday, November 8, 2021

Visiting memories

On Sunday, we visited Providence Forge Presbyterian Church, the church I attended from the time I was a baby (literally, my parents took me from my earliest days) until college. It is the church where I received my earliest teaching about Jesus (in addition to what I was taught at home), where I was christened as a baby, and where I accepted Christ with all the sincerity of a 10 year old.

The sanctuary is much the same as I remembered (though it looks smaller now than I remembered).

Some pictures that show Jimmy's and my christenings (I guess they are called "baptism" in the Presbyterian Church):

Picture taken at the front of the same church that we attended yesterday.

As I recall, Granny Hunt (Elva Blacklidge Hunt) made the baptismal gown.

These are pictures that I have recently scanned (using ScanSpeeder) and the text under them is documenting what was written on the back. They were in two different boxes from Aunt Libby... but now I notice that one indicates that the service was in June and the other one indicates April. I asked Jimmy, but he doesn't seem to remember from when he was 2.5-4 months old... ;-)

I think this one is funny, because Dad has his hand firmly planted so I won't face dive out of his arms... which I was evidently prone to do! If you look at the picture above with Granny holding Jimmy, and the one below with Mom holding me, you'll notice that the ladies are careful to show how pretty the dress is -- maybe they had faster reflexes for when the child started to face dive! You can also see the end of the front pew in the church -- same pews are still there as you can see in the first picture at the top of this post.

Carl looked at this picture and said, "Look how long you were even as a baby!" This picture (and the one with Granny and Grandpa) was taken in the house where we lived until I was 6.

I got to see some friends and folks that had known me in the church since childhood. It is great to revisit your memories!

1 comment:

  1. Sandy and I both grew up in the Presbyterian church too. Me, like you, from infancy; Sandy, a little later. "Train up a child. . ."

    ReplyDelete