Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Around Palm Springs RV Resort

We stayed around the rig on Tuesday...

One of the items we got last week at the Conference was a replacement monitor for our tire minders. They also gave us new batteries and O-rings for the sensors, so I took all the tire minders off and replaced the O-rings and the batteries.

Meanwhile, Carl was wiring in the repeater that should make accessing the tire pressures of the Jeep a little more reliable.

I programed the new monitor so it recognizes all of the tire minders... this display shows the tires for Gracie...

... it automatically switches every few seconds to show the tire pressures on the Jeep.

Carl made stir fry for lunch -- I did the cutting up of what was needed (we got a package of cut-up vegetables at Trader Joes, so that supplied most of the veggies)...

Finished product -- it was very good! We used the induction cooktop this time, and the "sear" setting worked really well at heating up the wok and keeping it at a good temperature.

We got our accumulated mail sent from Livingston sent to Ginny's house and picked it up on Sunday. I started going through it on Tuesday, and found a letter from the District Clerk of Polk County...

Uh oh, a Jury Summons... on a positive note, it isn't overdue - the date for me to appear isn't until April 5th, but... we're not going to be back in Texas by then...

Let me say up front that I fully believe in serving on juries - if I was being tried, I'd want people like me to be on the jury! But... I really didn't want to change our plans and head back to Texas... so I logged onto the system and answered all the questions, hoping that there would be a way that I could indicate that I would not be in Polk County or Texas on the date they want me to appear...

... it had excusals for "over 70 years of age" or "Legal custodian of a child under age 12 and service on jury would require leaving him/her without adequate supervision" or "Full time high school student" or "Full time enrollment and attendance at an institution of higher education" or "Primary caregiver of a person who is unable to care for him/herself" or "Temporary physical / medical or mental disability" or "In active service of any branch in the U.S. military and deployed outside of county" or "Officer or employee in the legislative branch of state government".... where is that "out of state" excuse!?!?!

... then I saw the last excuse "I am a member of the Escapee RV club" -- that's it! My get-out-of-jury-duty permission slip!

Isn't that odd that they would have being a member of a club as a valid excuse? I wonder what other people in the county think? And... it kind of sounds like someone who has escaped from prison, right?

At any rate, I chose that one, and it didn't ask me any other questions, just indicated that I did not have to appear.

The last time I got called for jury duty, I didn't receive the summons until after the date I was to appear, so I called the next business day and asked what I needed to do. The lady I spoke with asked my name and address, and when she heard my address said, "Oh, are you one of those RV people? Are you out of town?" When I said yes, she said, "Oh, that's okay, I'll put a note on your record. The next time you're in Polk County, if you could just call up and see if we need anyone to serve that week, we'd appreciate it!". 

I wonder if other counties that have mail forwarding services located in them (there are a couple in South Dakota and a couple in Florida) are as accommodating.

We went for a bike ride around the RV park in the afternoon -- so pretty here...

... although it was quite windy and we got little bit sand blasted!

The sign for the resort

The weather forecast had indicated that this week would be a little chillier than normal (highs in the low to mid 70s) but the forecast changed during the day on Tuesday and the temperatures are now predicted to be in the 80s and 90s. Oh well - we have full hookups, so we can run the air conditioner (we did on Tuesday even though it wasn't that hot just to keep from having the rig full of dirt), and do laundry and use whatever appliances we want! It is like a vacation to have full hookups after about a week and a half of no hookups -- we like boondocking, but we also like mixing it up and having full hookups too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment