Sunday, August 7, 2022

Apple Capital Recreation Loop Trail

We looked up bike trails near where we're staying in Quincy, Washington -- the Palouse to Cascades State Park Trail is down near I-90, but we were concerned that smoke from the Vantage Road Fire might make it unpleasant for bike riding. So, Friday, we headed to Wenatchee to try the Apple Capital Recreation Loop Trail (https://www.traillink.com/trail/apple-capital-recreation-loop-trail/). The information we had read about the trail indicated that it was 22 miles long... the longest trail I've taken was on my conventional bike 18 miles during the summer of 2020 in the Chicagoland area on the Great Western Trail to Sycamore (https://journeyinamazinggrace.blogspot.com/2020/08/biking-on-great-western-trail.html). We would probably not have considered a 22 mile loop on our conventional bikes, but getting some pedal assist from our e-bikes made it an option.

We wanted to go into Wenatchee to do some shopping anyway, so on Friday we headed in with our bikes in the back of the Jeep. We found parking in one of the parking lots at a park along the river, and got our bikes out and headed out on the trail.

The city identifies itself as "The Apple Capital of the World" (https://www.wenatcheewa.gov/visitor-info/history-and-culture/apple-capital-of-the-world?locale=en) so it was appropriate that we saw apple boxes stacked up ready to start the harvest along the trail.

The trail was mostly asphalt and mostly right along the Columbia River.

Finally I remembered to get a picture of Carl!

And another picture of Carl!

It was a nice trail, though not much shade - glad it was a cooler (highs in mid 80s) day.

Carl was trying to take a picture of me when I was behind him using the selfie setting...

... normally I am in front because Carl wants to make sure I am okay - he takes such good care of me!

Another "apple capital" picture

The trail enters Riverfront Park

I got another picture of Carl! I don't take anywhere near as good pictures as he does... and I have to be stopped to take pictures - no way that I'm taking my hands off the handlebars and my attention off of riding!

It turned out that the loop trail that we took was about 9.5 miles long -- there were a couple of spur trails that we could have taken which would have added onto the length, but we were happy with biking less than half of our planned mileage. We are still getting used to the e-bikes - there are some additional customizations we'd like to do to make them a little more comfortable for longer trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment