Monday, May 4, 2020

Happy birth-day - part 2

Continuing from yesterday's story about the new birth on the farm:

Morning Glory needed some post-natal supplements (Calcium)....

... I thought I could just "push" (encourage) her toward the dairy lot...

But baby was resting,

So Morning Glory didn't want to go...

So, I "helped" the calf over to the dairy lot...

Morning Glory and calf in dairy lot






Morning Glory needed to be taken to the handling chute to be given her supplement, so they were temporarily separated, and baby was not happy!



Morning Glory was around the side of the dairy barn getting her calcium. Regina used a something similar to a caulking gun (maybe it *was* actually a caulking gun) to administer the large tube of calcium.



Momma's back!

Morning Glory had headed back out of the dairy lot... but baby was resting again...

... so this time, Carl offered to help get calf out the gate...


"Upsie daisie!"

The estimate is that she is 65 pounds... and when she is resisting and not helping, she is a very heavy 65 pounds!
Jimmy demonstrated (but I didn't get a picture) that it is better to lift from her side, with your arms around her legs, your chin over her back --- but she didn't want to stand when either Carl or I were handling her, which I thought was a prerequisite for that --- and *I* am not sure I could have lifted 65 pounds! I tried it later in the day, and I couldn't lift her - so Regina recommended that I push at her hips and add steering at the shoulders.... and that worked better than driving at the shoulders!

Later in the afternoon, I got a video of her nursing - I don't know how well you will be able to see her little tail swishing in pleasure!



No comments:

Post a Comment