Tuesday, September 21, 2021

The Henry Ford Museum - Part 2

Continuing our visit to the Henry Ford Museum on Friday...

The next area we visited was "Fully Furnished" and had to do with household items... 

We found the heating stoves to be interesting...

All different shapes and sizes....

The one marked "18" reminded me of the one we had in the dining room of the house I grew up in, though I think ours was larger.

"18" is a "Box Stove"

This was the Soapstone Stove that was said, once hot, held the heat all night.

Another view of the stoves.

From there, we visited "Agriculture and the Environment":

Ford Experimental Light-weight Tractor, circa 1907


Ford Experimental Light-weight Tractor, circa 1907


Manure spreader aka Honey Wagon

I didn't know that John Deere's occupation (the man, not the company) was a blacksmith.

The John Deere Moldboard Plow


Apologies that it is hard to distinguish the cut-away in a still picture.


Jimmy had been planting with his no-till drill when we were in Virginia in April of 2020, so Carl had seen a drill up-close and personal (https://journeyinamazinggrace.blogspot.com/2020/04/planting.html)



"American Cow Milker"




hmmm....


When I saw this tobacco harvester, it reminded me of Carl and me trying to work with the transplanting machine on the farm last spring (https://journeyinamazinggrace.blogspot.com/2020/05/workday-in-produce-patch.html)


This reminds me of one of the tractors we had when I was a kid...

... another view of the tractor and tobacco harvester.

This combine was a marketing model...

It had signs on it with the features of the combine...



"Adjustable Rear Axle"

"Look! No Straw Walkers" (I tried to look up Straw Walkers and although I found some information online, I am not certain why it is particularly good that this machine has none...).

"Fully-enclosed auger unloads at any angle..."

There was also an Oscar Meyer Weinermobile...

I told Carl that I wanted to get a picture with him in front of the Weinermobile too, and he said he already had one... I thought it was from his previous visit to the museum in 2004, but it was from 2019 in a grocery store parking lot in Illinois. A picture of the Weinermobile in the wild!


Even though it was electric, it still had a hand crank in case the electricity went out!



Zenith Radio Wincharger

There is a LOT to see in the Henry Ford Museum!

No comments:

Post a Comment