Sunday, August 16, 2020

Paronomasia

Have you ever heard of paronomasia?

From Dictionary.com:

 

I distinctly remember when I learned this word and its meaning from my eleventh grade English teacher. We had a couple of punsters in the class. Sister Kathleen said, "It sounds like a disease, doesn't it?" (to which we all nodded), and, with a significant look at the two punsters, she continued, "It is!"

Anyway, I have known a number of paronomasiacs through my life, and one of them sent me a number of puns with some explanation in an email, the contents of which I will include here:

Whether you love them or hate them, the Art of the Pun should not be underestimated as it takes skill to craft comical wordplay that can make people laugh and cringe at the same time. 

 

One group to master the art of funny puns, is the Indian Hills Community of Colorado, who’ve been making regular punny roadside signage to the delight of everyone … 


The man behind the jokes is Colorado native and volunteer at the community center, Vince Rozmiarek.  He made his first sign as an April Fools prank and has never looked back.



With the aim to make people laugh, Rozmiarek puts up a sign with a new pun or joke a couple of times every week.

“It is hard to keep coming up with material, but I do try.”
 


















No comments:

Post a Comment