Saturday, October 8, 2022

A confusing Doctor appointment

Since I saw a new doctor in the Chicago suburbs a few weeks ago, she provided me with referrals to several other doctors. When I started calling to try to schedule appointments, many of the available times were out into November or even into early 2023 -- so I'll have to follow up next year when we're back in this area.

But, one of the referrals was to an ophthalmologist, and I was surprised that I could get an appointment the very next day! I had written down the name of the doctor and thought it was Michelle Andreoli, but I wasn't positive that I had noted it correctly. When I got to the medical building, there was a sign on the first floor welcoming Michael Andreoli to the practice. I thought... hmmm... I must have gotten the name incorrect. I also thought - "that's why I got an appointment, he is new."

When I got into the office, the young lady who did the initial exam with me was trying to determine whether my eyes needed to be dilated or not (I was there for a stye that had been bothering me for a couple of months). She went out to find out, and when she came back gave me the information that "the doctor prefers that her patients have their eyes dilated" (note, *her* patients). Okay... I'm starting to feel confused, but thought, "well, I hear about gender changes... maybe my doctor has had a gender change?" 

Later as I was in the room where the doctor was to give me an exam, the doctor walked in - had very short cut hair and a pink scarf around her neck, introduced herself as Dr Michelle Andreoli.

Because I am curious, I started doing some research and found that there are both a Michael Andreoli and a Michelle Andreoli in the same practice. They had different dates of getting their degrees and different locations for their medical school and residencies.

So, I had a follow up appointment this past week, and this time,

...there was a sign in the lobby welcoming both Michael and Michelle Andreoli to the office.

I decided to ask for clarification in the office - I asked the receptionist, and she confirmed that Micheal and Michelle are brother and sister.

When Dr Michelle came in to check on my eyes this time, her hair was a different color, and I honestly wasn't sure it was the same doctor!

Whew! Way to confuse an old person!

No comments:

Post a Comment