Saturday, September 2, 2023

Friday -- more doctor visits

Friday found us at more doctor visits and tests... 

Carl and I both went to my visit to a sleep doctor. In the time since we've been married, Carl had noted that there were times that I stopped breathing during the night, so last year, I did a sleep study. The test showed that I did have sleep apnea, not bad, but bad enough to justify getting help sleeping with a CPAP machine. Unfortunately, the test results came back after we had already left the Chicago area. I asked if it was serious enough that I should try to get in to see a doctor somewhere else, and they said that it was minimal, and only occurred when I was on my back. I suggested that I try to not sleep on my back, and I made an appointment for the time we planned to be in the Chicago area this year. It was good that Carl was with me to talk with the doctor, as I don't know what goes on while I am sleeping!

The doctor asked me why I had done a sleep study -- I told her that it was because Carl had noticed the episodes when I stopped breathing. She asked me several other questions -- did I wake refreshed? (yes) Did I fall asleep easily? (yes) Did I feel lethargic during the day? (no)

The doctor then said that I wasn't the "typical" person with sleep apnea (I had already thought that and originally did the sleep study just to try to allay Carl's concerns -- and was honestly surprised when it showed that I had sleep apnea!). The doctor said that the configuration of my face, with my chin sloped back from the front plane of my face, contributes to my sleep apnea. When on my back, my mouth opens, and my airway is impeded. There are no bones to keep your airway open.

While she said that she could justify prescribing a CPAP machine for me, based on our travel schedule, she suggested that sleep modification may be a better solution. She gave me some suggestions for keeping my airway healthy (saline nasal spray at night and morning and gargling at night with mouthwash or salt water), and recommended a swan contour pillow to aid with side sleeping. The doctor said that my level of sleep apnea is not serious, and that it is unlikely to contribute to additional complications such as heart disease or stroke.

Although we had both heard of sleep apnea, this doctor did a great job of explaining to us, and we have a better understanding now. And Carl has permission to encourage me to turn onto my side if I start back-sleeping!

We also went to visit Carl's Mom...

She is in a new room from where she was when we were here last year, and I really liked it a lot better! There is a small half-wall between the area where her bed is and her living room, and I think it encourages here to be up more.

Carl with his Mom. She was SO glad to see him!

Carl's Mom is now 96. Friday would have been Carl's Dad's 99th birthday. 

We had a good visit with Mom! She was happy to see recent pictures from our visit with cousins Linette and Nick and their daughter, Amy.

No comments:

Post a Comment