Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Bible Reading Plan and a Funny...

Carl and I are doing a Bible reading plan on YouVersion -- we like YouVersion because we can use it on our phones, tablets, or computers (https://www.bible.com/). We are using a Bible reading plan that goes through the whole Bible in a year, reading some from wisdom literature (Psalms or Proverbs), some from New Testament, and some from Old Testament. Here is the description of the plan (Bible in One Year 2022 with Nicky Gumbel - Classic):

Overwhelmed at the thought of reading the Bible? Spend time each day hearing from Nicky and Pippa Gumbel as they take you through the whole Bible in 365 days. Every day, a different theme is explored through a selection of scriptures taken from the book of Psalms or Proverbs, as well as the New Testament and the Old Testament. Nicky and Pippa provide commentary on these excerpts to provide insight and practical application.

In YouVersion, can also use any version of the Bible that is available on YouVersion, and we both like The Message, which is a paraphrase. It makes me look at scripture with new eyes -- often verses that I've heard so frequently that I almost don't acknowledge the truth in them are expressed in a different way that makes me see them as if I am reading it for the very first time. In the past, I have been skeptical of paraphrases, but, after my time with some of the translators at Wycliffe, and their positive statements specifically about Eugene Peterson's paraphrase (The Message), I am appreciating using it as a different way to allow God to speak to me. 

With the YouVersion app (on phone or tablet), it is also easy compare to other translations of the Bible.

I saw this recently and thought that it demonstrated the differences between different versions in a humorous way:


No comments:

Post a Comment