Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Webster Flea Market

We weren't originally planning to stop at the SKP (Escapee) park in Bushnell during this trip to Florida, but one of the Thousand Trails parks at which we had reservations for this time was hard hit by Hurricane Ian, and, back in December, we weren't sure that it would be open to accommodate us. So, instead of waiting until later to find out, we decided to see what other options were available, and booked a 6-night stay at the SKP park instead. Carl and Sue had been here back in 2016 and he remembered visiting the Webster Flea Market while here, so we decided to visit it on Monday.

This is said to be the largest flea market in Florida. If there is a larger one, I have no interest in visiting it!

All sorts of things to see and buy!

It is called the Webster West Side Swap-O-Rama (https://websterwestsidefleamarket.com/). This is near the middle of the 40 acres, a roofed structure with little sheds for the vendors to leave items for the week between the Monday sessions.

I saw this set of aqua bowls that I remember our family having when I was growing up...

I did not notice the price on them until I was reviewing the pictures for the blog... It appears that they were $225 for the 4 piece set! Oh. My. Goodness. I am afraid that possibly Dwayne and I got rid of the set from my growing up when we were downsizing to go fulltime in the RV. Who knows? - this might be the set from my childhood!

Carl took a picture of this and said, "Here's our next RV!"

There was an area where fruits and vegetables were available.

Lots and lots and lots of *stuff*!

It was a warm day and quite humid - the shade was appreciated!

There were a couple of eating places on the grounds. This one had a fellow singing to entertain the customers as they were in line (or passing by).

More stuff...

... and more stuff...

One vendor was selling French Bulldog puppies (this was a statue on top of the kennel with puppies).

And more stuff!

This was out toward the county road near where we had come in - a lot of vendors out in the open or with "EZ-up"-type canopies.

It appeared that some of the vendors were primarily selling items wholesale to other folks who then may take items "home" to re-sell in other states or communities. We talked to one guy who specifically recommended some flashlights that he had purchased in a previous year from a particular vendor - he was purchasing another 50 to take back to Arkansas (I think) with him. 

At another vendor, I was looking at a top and asked a worker how much it was - he asked me if I just wanted one or a multiple. I asked how many made up a "multiple" (I thought maybe I would be interested in two if I could get them in different colors) and he said 12 or more... uh... no...

We purchased one top for me (although not from the vendor selling multiples) and we got a number of different fresh vegetables and some navel oranges. 

We heard that the market is over 40 acres. We think we walked 1/2-2/3 of it... and we were TIRED! Walking slowly around seems to be a lot more tiring (and painful!) than a brisk walk!

No comments:

Post a Comment