Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Beef Brisket on the smoker

First: a reminder -- I mentioned a few months ago (https://journeyinamazinggrace.blogspot.com/2021/04/some-things.html) that the "Follow by Email" feature was going away as per a notification I received from Google / Feedburner. It is slated to go away "in July". I don't know whether that means that, if you follow by email, you'll stop getting emails when I do updates on July 1 and after, or... if it may wait a few days. I was hoping for a wonderfully easy solution discovered by someone else that I could implement by now, but... I haven't found that yet! I am still looking, and I have a list of all my current subscribers, so, I will email you if/when I find a new solution.

Back to the regularly scheduled blog posting....

When we were at the Madison Farmers' Market on Saturday, we got a small brisket for smoking. We had considered smoking it on Monday, but since it looked like a good day for hiking on Monday, so we delayed smoking it until Tuesday.

Carl started the smoker at about 6:50am and put the meat on at about 7:20am. We put the large awning out because it was sprinkling / raining and we didn't want the smoker to get wet.

When the meat got to about 160F,

... Carl wrapped it to prevent it from drying out.

Completing the wrapping

Re-attaching the probe -- the temperature at this point reported by the smoker ("oven temp") is 179F,

...the probe registered 160F at this point when the meat was just covered with foil. He continued to cook it to 205F, and then took it off and put it into our cooler (no ice in the cooler) to "rest" for an hour.

We forgot to get a picture when it came out of the foil, but this is a picture after it was sliced and we had enjoyed it! You can see the red ring around the outer portion of the meat is the "smoke ring", characteristic of smoked meat.

It was very delicious! There was a little fat still along the top edge, but otherwise it was lean, and the "bark" was again great!

No comments:

Post a Comment